Thursday, September 26, 2013

Teaching with TECH week 5! Its been real. its been fun, but not real fun....................

Dr. Howard Gardner is ALIVE!
Where did I miss the memo that he is a 21 century theorist?  He has always been one of my absolute favorite theorist, and after watching this video, and realizing that he is a living man of the 21 century, makes me love him even more. In his video he discusses teaching students how to be good digital citizens. I think this is so important, and something I rarely discuss with my students. However, I preach it to my nieces and nephew when they post ridiculous stuff on Facebook and Instagram. Also, he states that, “he see teacher more and more as coaches and as role models….”  That information that once was processed by one expert is not the case anymore. Information is available in many forms, it is our job to coach and motive students to go get it and use it.  
This week when reading Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that works, page 161 figure 8.5 has a great example of students comparing their efforts to weekly test scores. I have students track the objective we cover and determine if they understand and are meeting the objectives, but this concept ties in a new piece that I have search for and did know how to motivate the students. I am starting these past two week s getting my students set up in Google Applications. Our district has already set them up students just need to access it for the first time. Once we get this Going I think the Google doc will be a great place to  have students graph efforts put forth in class and compare them to test scores, or daily work scores.

When reading Web 2.0 new tools, new schools,  this quote hit home, “ Performance assessments call upon the examiner to demonstrate specific skills and competencies, that is, to apply the skills and knowledge they have mastered.” (Solomon 2007 pg 168)
                 
The way we think about assessment will have to change. I feel that when you allow students to learn and be assessed at the same time you will have a much higher percentage of students succeeding with an A. This is a huge change. Teachers, myself included, feel that if everyone is making an A then the curriculum is not hard enough. I first thought that about Lamar. I have a 4.0 right now. I thought that it’s too easy, but I LOVE every class, can fit it into my life and more importantly take what I am learning and apply it the next day.  Lamar has set very clear expectations each week, aligned readings and media to help us meet the expectations. I meet them and do it very well. I love that Lamar isn't teaching in a 20th  century approach about how to teach to the 21 century students, but rather they model great teaching strategies that can be applied to my classroom.  I am constantly demonstrating what I am learning through group discussion, updating my blog and implementing it into my classroom.
I need to take this piece of assessment and formulate it so that my student can learn in a practical way and meet expectations on state assessments.  I do formal evaluation all the time. However, I have experienced that my students to well with hands on interactive approaches and deeply understand the content but bomb the state assessments. But again like this book talks about these cookie cutter assessments don’t fit everyone and do not count for every students abilities and disabilities.


 Edutopia.org (nd). Big Thinkers: Howard Gardner on Digital Youth. Retrieved from http://www.edutopia.org/digital-generation-howard-gardner-video

 Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, 155-164


Solomon, G., & Schrum, L. (2007). Web 2.0: New tools, new schools. Eugene, OR: International Society for Technology in Education, 168-176.

No comments:

Post a Comment